This page is for describing the definitions and acronyms that we use throughout this document.
Also see http://www.broadcom.com/press/glossary.php
Jump to a letter:
- ACI (Adjacent Channel Interference)
- AMSDU (Aggregate MSDU)
- Combines several MSDU's, reducing overhead
- BIST (Built In Self Test)
- BSS (Basic Service Set)
Infrastructure mode where there is a single access point
- BTC (Bluetooth Coexistence)
- CCA (Clear Channel Assessment)
- The degree of contention on an 802.11 channel
- CFP (Contention Free Period)
- Force a value to be within a certain range. If the value is greater than the maximum, it is lowered to the maximum. If the value is less than the minimum, it is raised to the minimum.
- CW (Contention Window)
- DTIM (Delivery Traffic Indication Message)
- EDCF (Enhanced Distributed Coordination Function)
- 802.11e QoS function
- EWC (Enhanced Wireless Consortium)
- Consortium that finally pushed the first 11n draft through
- Frame Bursting
- FES (Frame Exchange Sequence)
- a sequence of exchanged frames, for example RTS-CTS-data-ACK.
- GPT (General Purpose Timer)
- HPF (High-Pass Filter)
- IBSS (Independant Basic Service Set)
Adhoc mode where stations communicate directly with each other.
- IFS (Interframe Space)
- IHR (Internal Hardware Register)
- I/O Core
Input/Output Core in the Silicone Backplane. These cores are used to abstract the Network Cores from the I/O interface they connect to.
- LNA (Low Noise Amplifier)
- LO (Local Oscillator)
- LPF (Low-Pass Filter)
- MIMO (Multiple Input Multiple Output)
Spatial Multiplexing to allow greater data rates
- MMIO (Memory Mapped Input/Output)
Memory mapped input/ouput addressed from the PCI space. See MMIO for more details.
- MSDU (MAC Service Data Unit)
- MPDU (MAC Protocol Data Unit)
- NAV (Network Allocation Vector)
- Network Core
Network core containing a PHY.
- NRSSI (Narrow Received Signal Strength Indicator)
- PA (Power Amplifier)
- PAD (Power Amplifier Driver)
- PGA (Programmable Gain Amplifier)
- PLCP (Physical Layer Convergence Protocol)
Apparently the first 6 bytes of the packets in the TemplateRam constitute some information of this, for an in-depth treatment see PLCP header.
- PMQ (Power Management Queue)
- PLL (Phase Locked Loop)
- PSM (Programable State Machine)
- Roam Delta
Roam candidate qualification delta (probably signal strength delta, but I'm not positive). The default value depends upon the core.
- RPI (Received Power Indicator)
- Sum of background noise and received power levels from invalid sources
- RSSI (Received Signal Strength Indicator)
- RXE (Receive Engine)
- SCC (Slow Clock Control)
- TA (Transmitter Address)
- TBTT (Target Beacon Transmission Time)
- Related to clock synchronisation.
- TSF (Time Synchronization Function)
- TSSI (Transmitted Signal Strength Indicator)
- TXE (Transmit Engine)
- VCO (Voltage Control Oscillator)
- XTL (Crystal)